arrow keys to browse the list
- We don't spam. Period. (When we do and don't send emails)
- What information we collect and for what purpose
- Personal information
- Computer information
- User Generated content
- About children under the age of 13
- Log file data
- Cookies and web beacons (that our site employs)
- Third parties (Cookies and web beacons)
- Disclosure of data
- Data storage
- Security measures
- Control over your data
We don't spam. Period. (When we do and don't send emails)contents
We won't email you unless you expressively indicated you want us to. Nor will we sell, share or rent your email address to/with third parties. We will only email you in one of the following cases:
- You use the password recovery option, where we will email you instructions on how to reset your password.
- You activated the optional feature to receive an email when someone voted on your list of favorite names. Please note: You can always de-activate this feature.
- You used one of our contact forms because you have a question or want to provide feedback to us. In those cases we can email you in reply to your request.
- You used the optional feature to verify a name survey you completed by email. In that case we will email you a verification link.
- If we believe it is very vital to contact you and share certain information, we ay decide to email you. We will only do so in extraordinary cases like, for example, when the site or the company holding your personal information is sold and a new owner will govern and safeguard your personal information. Commercial messages or advertising are not considered vital, so we will never use this as an excuse to send spam.
What information we collect and for what purposecontents
Personal informationWe keep the amount of personal information we collect to an absolute minimum and only collect it if strictly necessary. We collect the following information:
Saving your list of favorite baby names
To save your name list you'll either need to sign in using your Facebook account (if you have one) or use an email address and password you select.
In the case you use your Facebook account
When using your Facebook account to sign in, we only store the unique Facebook ID that allows us to link your list of names to it, which enables you to gain access to your list at any time- from anywhere. During the sign in process we get your full name from Facebook, but we don't store it. We temporarily show it next to the 'sign out' link as a confirmation during the time you're signed in. We don't gather any other information from your Facebook account.
In case you save your name list using an email address and password
The email address and password you entered will be stored by us to enable you to sign in and gain access to your name list at any time- from anywhere. The email address is stored as plain text and your password is stored encrypted in a way nobody, including us, can access it.
Message boards (Registration, Profile and Messages)
You may decide to become part of our site's community by creating an account for our message boards. In that case, you will most likely submit personal information with the intent to share it with the community.
If you use an email address and password for registering, they will be stored by us to enable you to sign in and gain access to the features of the message boards that are only available to registered members (e.g. start a topic, write a reply). Your email address is stored as plain text and your password is stored encrypted in a way nobody, including us, can access it.
Profile and messages
Any information you add to your profile and/or messages (e.g. topics, posts, replies) will be publicly visible and/or shared with the other members of the community. We recommend you don't share personally identifiable information about yourself, such as: your full name, address, personal photos or email address; but if you do decide to do so anyway, it's your own responsibility.
Friends & family who vote on name lists
Our site offers the feature to ask friends, family and others to vote on your list of favorite baby names. The page others use to vote doesn't contain your name or any other personally identifiable information, but of course, anyone using this link can see what names are on the list. So in case you post the link on your Facebook wall, tweet it on Twitter, email it or take any other action where people know who posted or shared the link, others will know the list of names belongs to you. This is especially true if you added your last name to the names in your list. After people voted for a name they will see how many people voted in total and a percentage showing how many liked or disliked the name. And in case you activated the optional feature to receive an email notification when someone voted on your list of favorite names, we will store your email address to enable these notifications to be sent.
Our site offers the feature to take a name survey in which you tell us if you like your name. When submitting your survey, your IP address is stored so we can prevent users from taking multiple surveys for the same name. In general, IP addresses are anonymous, but, in some cases, they could be personally identifiable.
You could decide to contact us using one of our contact forms. These emails will be stored in our email inboxes, but not in the database of the website. We can use the email address or other contact information to get back to you in response to your request.
If you use one of our contact forms, we will collect non-personally identifiable computer information, such as: the type of browser you are using (e.g. Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome), the type of operating system you are using (e.g. Windows, Mac OS), the screen or window resolution of your monitor and device type (e.g. PC, iPhone, iPad). We collect this information since these contact forms are frequently used to report a technical problem with the site and this information helps us greatly to reproduce the problem and find a solution.
User Generated Contentcontents
User generated content is information provided by our users with an intent to be used on our website (e.g. a post in our boards, providing feedback on a name, completing a name survey). You, as our user, are responsible for all content that you submit, post, or otherwise make available to or through our website. We don't claim ownership of user generated content, but by submitting, posting, or otherwise making available to or through our website, you automatically grant us the non-exclusive right to use your content in any way we desire. You agree we may decide if and how your content is credited and you also agree the content provided may be indexed by search engines such as Google.
About children under the age of 13contents
Our website is not intended for children under the age of 13. We don't knowingly collect personally identifiable information from visitors in this age group. If we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under the age of 13, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from a child under age 13, please contact us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Log file datacontents
As with the majority of web sites you visit, our site and servers employ log files. These log files record non-personally identifiable data, with the exception of IP addresses which could be considered personally identifiable in some cases, but is anonymous in most. The log file data is used to provide insight in the way our site is being used and, if errors occur, log files provide extra insight in what caused the errors and how to fix them.
Cookies and web beacons (that our site employs)contents
Cookies are text files stored at your computer for authenticating, session tracking (state maintenance) and maintaining specific information about the use and users of our website (such as site preferences or the contents of favorite name lists). Cookie files may also be placed at your computer by our trusted third party companies. For more detailed information please read the third party section further in this document. For more information about (the use and decline of) cookies, please visit: www.allaboutcookies.org.
Web beacon consists of a small string of software code that represents a graphic image request on a web page or email. There may or may not be a visible graphic image associated with the web beacon and often the image is designed to blend into the background of a web page or email. Web beacons can be used for many purposes, including: site traffic reporting, unique visitor counts, advertising auditing and reporting and personalization.
Our site uses the following cookies and/or web beacons:
- We store the ID of your favorite name list in a cookie if you haven't saved your list. This ID enables us to know what names are in your list. We use the same cookie to keep you signed in once you've saved your name list.
- If you vote on the names from some else's name list, we will save your votes in a cookie to ensure you can only vote once per name.
- We use a cookie to NOT serve ads for the first couple of page views. We gradually add two extra ad units once you've made a certain amount of pageviews.
Third Parties (Cookies and web beacons)contents
Analytics Partnerscontents We allow certain partners to include cookies and/or web beacons within our pages or share portions of our log file data- including IP address- with these partners for analytics purposes. These partners aggregate information and then provide reports on how our website is being used.
Ad Networks, other Advertisers and other Third Partiescontents Some advertisements you see on our site are served by individual advertisers or other third parties, but most are served by ad networks. Most commonly, these are third party ad servers, ad agencies, technology vendors, providers of sponsored content, and research firms.
On our site we work with the following ad networks:
We have integrated components or functionality of the following third party websites:
Disclosure of datacontents
We keep your personally identifiable information confidential and we generally do not disclose it. But, please note the following clarifications and exceptions:
- Our employees, directors, officers, owners, affiliated companies and independent contractors have access to some of your personally identifiable information for the purpose of helping us run our business (and not for their own purposes). They access and use such data subject to our instructions and on a "need to know" basis.
- If we are in the process of selling our company, our site, or substantial parts of our business, you agree we may disclose and/or transfer your personally identifiable information as well as other information to the (potential) new owner so they can better value our business and, if sold, continue to operate the service this website provides. This will also be the case if the new owner is a non-EU company, organization or individual.
- We may also share your personally identifiable information to respond to law enforcement requests, court orders or any other legal process or if we believe that such disclosure is necessary to investigate, prevent or respond to illegal activities, fraud, and physical threats to you or others or as otherwise required by any applicable law or regulation.
Since the majority of our site users are from the United States, our web and database servers are hosted and located in the United States. And, since we develop and operate the site from the Netherlands, our local development servers are located in the Netherlands, Europe. All data, including personally identifiable information, will be stored on both locations and you agree we may transfer your data between these locations as we deem necessary and in our sole discretion. Our servers in the United States are hosted by Amazon Web Services ("AWS"). The European privacy laws allow us to transfer personal data between these locations because AWS complies with the International Safe Harbor Privacy Principles.
We take strict security measures to protect personally identifiable information from loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction. These measures include limiting the number of people who have physical access to our database servers as well as electronic security systems, data encryption and password protections, which guard against unauthorized access.
Control over your datacontents
You always have the right to review the personal information you have stored with us. You can request your personal information by emailing us at: email@example.com
Please state 'request personal information' in the subject line of your email. If your personal information is incorrect, we will change it upon your request. You can also ask us to remove your personal information from our database by sending us an email to the same email address.
Ximon Media B.V. is the responsible party for the processing of the personal information. Ximon Media B.V. is a private limited liability company, incorporated under the laws of the Netherlands and has its offices at Baroniehoeven 5, 5244 HX, Rosmalen, the Netherlands.
The Dutch Data Protection Authority notification number is 1503031. For verification you can visit https://www.collegebeschermingpersoonsgegevens.nl/asp/ORSearch.asp and search for the notification number ('Meldingsnummer' in Dutch).
If you have any suggestions or remarks about this privacy statement, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org